Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ina's Peach & Blueberry Crumbles

Alright, let's not get started on my love/hate with the Barefoot Contessa. I watch her show reruns every Sunday morning with a giant cup of coffee wishing I could be part of just one of her dinner parties (or at least eat the leftovers hiding behind the couch, who wouldn't want that?)

Recently, I got 2 of her cookbooks, Barefoot Contessa At Home and Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, as gifts. The first recipe I tried was from At Home - Peach & Blueberry Crumbles. You can print the recipe there and below is my experience making this humble crumble.
Source


Fruit Fun Times
Step 1: Peel peaches. Ina sayz to boil water and immerse the peaches for 30 secs then drop them in cold water and the skins just peel off. I didn't want to boil water or have a cold bowl so I peeled them with a fruit peeler and guess what.

Peaches are HARD TO PEEL. Slippery suckers.

The recipe calls for lemon juice and lemon zest. I used my microplane for the first time. Yay! And the zest smelled *so* fresh and yummy. I wanted to zest all night but it called for only 2 teaspoons. From now on there will be lemon zest in everything i make.

Except for the peach peeling, prepping the fruit filling was easy. Combine all the ingredients and MIX. The filling will be a goopy, sugary mixture.

Oh yeah, I also didn't use ramekins and used a baking dish. I think it added 25 minutes to the cook time (not included in my cook time below).

Crumble Crisis
Step 2: the recipe calls for COLD diced unsalted butter. I had room temperature butter because in *my* peabrain I thought "oh baking always calls for room temp butter and I always have cold butter so I'm going to be smart and take the butter out early."

Into the freezer the butter went for a quick cool.

10 minutes later, I started the crumble. The recipe says to use an electric mixture to mix. This would do 2 things - mix it to the correct proportions and keep the butter cold. I didn't use a mixer of course. I'm Rebel Ricky Recipe. I mixed it with a fork and it kinda smushed together and then I used my fingers (this part was in the recipe) to make it more crumbly and put the bowl back in the freezer a few minutes before spreading it on top of the fruit.
Some chunks but that'll just melt, right?
Verdict on no electric mixer - crumble was FINE. I wish more recipes would note options if you don't have certain ingredients or appliances.

Bake.
If you don't use ramekins, the cook time will be longer at 350F. At the end, I upped the temperature to 400F because the crumble wasn't browning. Maybe it was because my oven rack was too low.
Eat.
Yum. The peach and blueberry combo was tasty. The lemon added some tartness. Next time, I'll use the ramekins because my baking dish was too shallow and resulted in a sloppy-ish mess. And add more crumble :) and ice cream.
wishing you were a la mooode.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes (more if you use a dish v. ramekins)
Clean Time: 15 minutes
Total Time As Ina: 1 hour 15 min

What happens when you get rebellious against the recipe?

2 comments:

lavenderpug said...

that looks so yummy, and i love your step by step photos! much better than the ones i take where my shadow is looming over the food.

Annie said...

like the tips!