Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Big Friendly Giant

I've been looking for some good books to read lately. I just finished the Twilight series which was pure awesomeness in a guilty pleasure sort of way. So many times when I go to the bookstore I buy a new book or a classic and read about 15 pages before I lose interest (and my money). Why can't they make books as good as the ones I loved to read when I was a kid? One of my absolute favorites was this one:
source
Roald Dahl's The BFG. This book came out in 1982 and my 4th grade teacher read it to our class in 1989. After that, I was hooked on Roald Dahl books including Matilda, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, James & the Giant Peach, etc. etc.

I'd recommend reading The BFG if you haven't already. There are words like "frobscottle" (soda pop), "whizzpoppers" (farts), "snozzcumbers" (bitter squash-like veggie). It's a book to love. Buy it here on Amazon.com.

Last week I joined the "Book Buddies" program at work where we're assigned a 3rd grader and a book. We'll read the book and write letters like pen pals to each other. I'm super excited. I can't wait to see what the book is.

What's your favorite childhood book?

4 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

Whizpoppers!! Awesome!

lavenderpug said...

is it okay if i just copy your answer? when i was super super young i loved the little red hen. i read along with the record that we had over and over and over again.

mintedlife said...

That is so cute that you joined a book buddy program!!

Annie said...

I remember Bridge to Terabithia really made me like books. Still makes me cry!