Friday, November 19, 2010

Good Eats in Napa: Redd

Just got back from a whirlwind weekend in San Francisco, one of my favorite cities. We kicked off the weekend with a jaunt to Yountville in Napa for lunch at Redd. The weather was absolutely beautiful so we sat outside to soak in the fall sunshine.

Redd has a menu of about 15 courses divided into lighter and heavier plates. We ordered five (2 lighter and 3 heavier) courses and shared family style between the three of us. It was more than enough.
  • Yellowfin tuna and hamachi tartare, avocado, chili oil, fried rice 
  • Caramelized diver scallops, cauliflower purée, almonds, balsamic reduction
  • Steamed pork buns, hoisin, vegetable salad
  • Glazed pork belly, apple purée, burdock, soy caramel
  • Roasted organic chicken, potato purée, braised chanterelles, liver toast

My favorite was the hamachi tartare with the puffed rice ("fried" is really a misnomer) - the vinaigrette was tasty and the yellowtail super fresh. The pork belly (both in the buns and glazed) was really good though could have used a rice side to cut the saltiness a bit. If anyone is curious, burdock is a root.

Scallops were cooked perfectly. Drool. By the time we got to the chicken, I was already full. Still, the skin was crispy and I enjoyed the potato puree and fall veggies (including my fave Brussels sprouts). I wasn't a fan of the liver mousse toast but then again I don't like liver. The portions were generous and the waitstaff friendly and knowledgeable making it a great outing in the warm weather. 

Afterwards, we were too full for dessert (sad!) and tired (food coma) for winery hopping. Instead, we took some pictures at the winery across the street. I love the the orange fall leaves!

If you're in Yountville, check out Redd for a good meal. 
6480 Washington Street
Yountville CA 94599
707.944.2222

5 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

Looks yummy and the scenery is awesome!

Cathleya said...

Mark was looking over my shoulder while I was reading my Greader and said, "Hey! Redd!"

Nothing and I mean nothing in my reader has ever remotely piqued his interest so that was a first! We read your post together.

We've looked into going!! Looks so great...we're obv saving it for a (veryyyy) special occasion! So glad you got to try it, yum!!!

lavenderpug said...

that looks muy delicioso. nothing like a perfectly cooked scallop. what a feast. i am so jealous. like, in a bad way.

mintedlife said...

Mmmm, the food looks amazing!

Jessica said...

I'm glad I ate my lunch already, that food makes me drool!