Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Good Eats SF: Bob's Donuts

If you're looking for a fresh donut in a no frills atmosphere, check out Bob's Donut & Pastry Shop on Polk Street in Nob Hill, SF.

Bob's is a great place for a classic donut any time of day though the three times I've been was at late night. After Wayfare Tavern, we went to Bob's for dessert and they were frying up donuts batch after batch in preparation of the going out crowd. Fry was in the air.


Nothing fancy or trendy happens at Bob's. They have your classic donut flavors all ready for your gawking through the hazy front window display including a very special giant donut. On this trip we got classic glazed, a chocolate glazed cruller, a maple buttermilk, and a chocolate buttermilk. Oh, and the giant apple fritter.
Can you see the giant donut in the upper right?
Drool.
Verdict? ALL good. All of them. Classic glazed was soft but not soggy and not too much glaze. It was perfect with a cup of tea late night. Another favorite was the maple buttermilk. The buttermilk is a cakey "donut" but no hole. It's crunchy fried on the outside with soft dense cake texture on the inside, moist with a yummy maple glaze topping. My mouth is watering just writing about it.
Clockwise from top left: choco buttermilk, glazed, maple buttermilk, eaten choco buttermilk  
Hello. I love you. 
The next night, we picked up the hubs who came to SF a couple nights after me. One of the first things he said was "When do we go to Bob's?" I burst out into nervous laughter because we'd already went and I didn't tell him because I felt guilty.

So we went again the next night. And it was just as good. The counter lady was especially nice and was very patient as we eyed the goods and made our painstaking choices. We said "these donuts are not all for us" and she said "I don't ask questions. It's my job to sell the donuts." And sell them you do.

Bob's Donut & Pastry. Definitely worth the trip. Just go now.
1621 Polk Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-776-3141

5 comments:

lavenderpug said...

ooh i've never heard of bob's donuts! and i do love donuts. will have to try next time i'm out there!

BigAppleNosh said...

I want all of them!!

Jessica said...

Holy delicious donuts Batman. I need. Nom.

Morgan said...

Yum! I've never heard of this place before, but will have to try it sometime!

Katie said...

Drooooooool!!!! I would like an apple fritter please!