Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Good Eats SF: Philz Coffee

Are you a habitual morning coffee drinker like me? Every morning I have to get my grande Bold from Starbucks. It's good enough and I like a strong blend. Lately though I've noticed I've been getting bored of it. Where is the real coffee flavor?

Too bad I don't live in San Francisco because the real coffee is at Philz. At $2.50 for a small and close to $4 for a large, Philz is not cheap. But it's also not your usual cup o' joe. It's an experience. Philz' motto is "one cup at a time" and that's exactly how they brew their custom drip coffee. Offering 20 blends and different roast levels, Philz takes "barista" to another level.
source
My first Philz experience was a large Tesora (their signature blend), medium roast, with cream and sugar. Normally, I like to add my own cream (well, whole milk) and sugar so I was skeptical. The result? Amazigness. Super rich coffee flavor even through the frothy, silken milk and sugar.

The first time I ordered a large because it looked like my normal grande Starbucks. But...large is too much caffeine so I felt super anxious later. The second time at Philz, I got a small. Much more to my liking.
source
Philz has several locations including SoMa, Castro, and the Mission. Each coffee is made individually so be patient. The baristas are friendly and are proud of their work as ours asked "Taste it, is it good?" Yes, it's sooo good. We visited the original Mission store and sat outside on a bench enjoying our creamy coffee goodness. Despite several branches, the Mission store felt especially neighborhoody and was filled with people lounging on their mismatched benches, couches, a real corner coffee house. 
The real Phil seen here making coffee. Photo from philzcoffee.com
Mmm. Philz. This is how coffee is supposed to taste. I dream of you as I look sadly at my empty coffee cup.

Find one near you (if you live in the Bay area, sadsies for me!)

9 comments:

Cathleya said...

Can't believe I've never had this! MMM!

Jessica said...

I'm a coffee addict! Mmm

mintedlife said...

I've never even heard of this, but I'm imagining the delicious taste. If only I had one near me...

BigAppleNosh said...

I would give up my caramel macchiato for this...

Annie said...

i've learned so much about my local coffee shop!

lavenderpug said...

wowza that sounds good.

barbride said...

I live down the street from the Berkeley Philz, and I'm not really a fan (oh the shame!). I know it's a cult favorite but it kills me that they add the cream + sugar for you. It usually ends up being not sweet enough, or too sweet. When it's good, it's great though. But their coffee also gives me the jitters. Maybe I should get a smaller size, like you.

lobster said...

@barbride: Hm, yeah I can't say much about consistency since I had it only twice over a course of a weekend. I am skeptical that they can match everyone's sugar/cream ratio taste though.

denise said...

Mmm, Philz...each drink is like a 'party in my mouth'.