Monday, November 8, 2010

Mystery Vegetable: Eggplant

I don't know what to do with this vegetable.

Now, you might think this post is about Brussel Sprouts since they are prominently featured here but I think they're just pretty.

I've declared in the past that I'm not an eggplant fan even though I admire it's nutritious qualities as well as it's reputation for tasting like whatever sauce it's in.

Like my chicken ventures though, it's time for me to conquer another culinary question mark. Since it was late on a weeknight, I cooked simply and roasted slices.

  • Cut the eggplant into 1/4" slices lengthwise (or thinner if you want crispier slices). 
  • Coat with olive oil on both sides
  • Place evenly separated on baking sheet
  • Season heavily with salt & pepper
Then I got "fancy"...
  • Sprinkle top with grated parmesan cheese
  • Bake in 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until eggplant is browned / cheese is crispy.
Which one was tastier, plain roasted eggplant or parm-coated? DUH. Parmesan eggplant. The other slices were good especially the ones that were thinner, almost like eggplant crispies.

Ok, fine, so I cheated with the cheese to make it taste good. The non-cheese ones were good too and I'd consider this mystery vegetable again.

I finished off my vegetarian meal with some roasted Brussel Sprouts and rice with mushrooms. I used oyster mushrooms this time. I'm sorry to say I'm too lazy to write about that. But I've also written about it before so check the archives if you're interested.

What vegetable scares you?

5 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

I'm not a big fan of eggplant, and I'm not sure if it's because I've only ever had mushy eggplant - or is it supposed to be mushy? Anyhoo, your cheese topping, like all cheese toppings, intrigues me. I might have to make this. Or, more accurately, invite myself over to try this. Ha!

mintedlife said...

Yum!! That looks tasty. I'm scared of beets. I never know what to do with them. I used to do a CSA from my work, and I'd always trade out the beets.

lavenderpug said...

wow this was quite the feast! i'm so impressed you pulled all this together. looks delicious.

Jessica said...

The roasted brussel sprouts look so good, I'll have to try them and the parm eggplant definitely looks worth making. :D

Annie said...

your cutting board looks nice in the pics!