Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Portobello Fries, You're Super Delightful

Another weeknight dinner and no ideas. I got me 2 portobello mushrooms and that's about it. I was determined to use them in an effort to clean out my fridge. Then I remembered the awesomest tastiest thing I've ever had -- portobello mushroom fries at my wedding. While I didn't try to replicate the recipe (no idea what was in them), I got a hankering for mushroom fries in general.

I made a Panko mixture...yes, I used parmesan again. Does it seem like I can only eat veggies this way?

Dry Mix:
  • 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 2 tbs of grated Parmesan cheese
  • Pinch of garlic powder
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • Salt (after baking to taste)
2 beaten eggs for wet coating

Prep Mushrooms
Slice mushrooms into 1/4" slices. Put in colander and add a pinch of salt. Toss mushrooms in salt and set aside. This will release moisture from the mushrooms. After about 20-30 minutes (I took the dog out on a walk), lay mushrooms flat on paper towel. Take a 2nd paper towel and press on top to soak up the moisture.


Batter Up
1. Set up your work station. From left to right: your 2 beaten eggs, dry mix, plate to catch crumbs, baking sheet lined with parchment. Each plate should have a fork to ease the process.

2. Dip the mushroom in the egg. Shake off excess.

3. Coat mushroom in panko mixture. Use a spoon to press the panko into the mushroom. Use your fork to shake off excess.

4. Place on parchment paper.

5. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Flip mushroom pieces to ensure even browning.

6. Bake for another 10-12 minutes.
Waiting in vain for me to drop a mushroom. Or cheese at least.
I want you guys to know how much I love you (thanks for reading!) b/c it was *killing* me to take photos when I should have been eating. I know b/c I sneaked 2 bites hot out of the oven.
Fry fort
I made a balsamic vinegar dip but decided it didn't need it. And by "dip" I mean I poured it out of the bottle.

Crispy, parmesan-y, mushroomy. In summary, super delightful.

6 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

Mmmmmm, I love cheezy breaded things!

Cathleya said...

Mmm. Everything is better with breading and cheese. I know BigAppleNosh just said that but I only noticed she had said it as I was typing the comment anyway and I don't feel like coming up with something else interesting to say. Besides...everything is better with breading and cheese. Crap, I said it again.

mintedlife said...

I've never had these before, but they look delicious!! And because I didn't want to be left out, breaded chesey things are awesome. :)

mintedlife said...

And apparently I can't spell. I meant breaded cheesy things are awesome.

lavenderpug said...

oh those look amazing! loooove mushrooms. and panko. and cheese.

Jennie said...

looks great - would be a good app / side for t-day! :)