Monday, December 13, 2010

It's Like Paris in a Pan

Since there was a special on hanger steak, I took advantage of it for our Sunday night meal in the "french bistro" style. I like hanger steak because it's tender and pretty flavorful. Hubs loves French fare so I tried a red wine mushroom reduction. It got rave reviews (mostly because I never cook beef). I added two simple sides of sauteed leeks and roasted fingerling potatoes for a hearty meal.

Hanger Steak with Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce
Serves 2
1-1.25 lbs hanger steak
2 medium size portobello mushrooms
1 shallot
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs of butter (in 2 pieces)

Sauteed Leeks
2 leeks, sliced
2 tbs olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
1 lb fingerling potatoes
Olive oil to coat potatoes
salt & pepper to taste

Prep your veggies. I ended up not using the tomatoes. It was overly ambitious.

Since the roasted potatoes will take the longest, start with these little guys. Clean the outsides thoroughly since the skin is tender enough to eat. Slice lengthwise. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Flip so that the cut sides are down on the sheet to brown the sides

Roast at 375F for 20-25 minutes. Taters are ready when you can poke through them with a fork. Yum.

While your taters are roasting, prepare your leeks. I cut them into rounds then soaked them in a large bowl of water and let all the sediment fall to the bottom. Transfer the leeks out of the ater into a colander but do no pour it in otherwise you'll take all the sand with you!

Heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the leeks until wilted and slightly browned on edges. Add salt and pepper. An optional step is to deglaze your pan with a tablespoon of vinegar. If you do that be sure to cook it off. The leeks will reduce significantly. Set aside.
 

Finally the MEAT. I don't cook beef often but I find it easier than chicken since you can cook it less time and if it's too rare then you can always nuke it. This piece is 1.3 lbs. I cut it down the middle along the tendon which I removed because it's tough and chewy. This piece would be enough for 2 people with some leftover. Hubs and I shared the thicker half and now I have leftovers for tomorrow for one. 

To pan cook the steak, first heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium high heat (I used the same pan as the leeks). When the oil is hot, place the steaks on the pan. Don't move it to allow the browning to occur. Leave it for 3-3.5 minutes on each side to achieve medium rare. Remove from heat onto a plate and cover with aluminum foil to allow the meat to rest 10 minutes. While it rests, it will continue cooking so medium rare became medium for me. (Sorry, no photos here).

Finally, prepare the red wine mushroom sauce. Using the same pan, pour out the fat from the meat. Then melt 1 tbs of butter. Saute your sliced mushrooms and shallots. My pan was pretty browned by then so I added some oil to prevent burning. 

When your mushrooms are cooked down, add the 2 tbs of red wine vinegar. Continue sauteing until no liquid is left. 
Add 1/2 cup of red wine. 

Allow to simmer and reduce to about half. Turn off heat. Add remaining 1 tbs of butter and mix in. I also poured in the juices that came out from the meat while it rested. 

Plate the sauce then the steak on top. Pour over remaining sauce. 
It was a good Sunday night meal. It would have been even better if I had, say, a french apple tart for dessert. Instead we had Godiva hot chocolate. 

3 comments:

lavenderpug said...

oh that looks delicious! i love hanger steak as well, but i've never cooked it at home--you inspire me! plus, why are your pictures so much better than mine? and don't say it's the camera, i think your angles are better so i might steal that from you as well.

Jessica said...

Yum! Roasted potatoes are so good, and are my weakness.

Annie said...

wow what a fine meal!