Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Those Are Some Sweet Buns

When I saw Big Apple Nosh's venture into cinnamon buns, I knew it was a must try for Thanksgiving weekend. My family's a sucker for those 6-packs of cinnamon buns at Ikea. Sometimes we go on that 30 minute drive *just* for the cinnamon rolls (and soft serve ice cream and great deals). By Big Apple Nosh's recommendation, I used the same Paula Deen recipe found here.
I've never made a dough and I have a record of failed or "just ok" baked goods. I didn't want to mess this one up and especially with a hungry family waiting and a possible taunting. In the days before the cinnamon buns, I read the recipe several times, read the reviews for tips. And...it was a success! If I can do it, so can you..

Dough:
1/4-ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup scalded milk (I heated it up in the microwave for 1 minute)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour (I ended up using about 3 cups)

Filling:
1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan (1/2 cup was more than enough)
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan (3/4 was more than enough)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional (the nuts added a nice crunch)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.

In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Dough will be very sticky at first but will come together with kneading.

Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours. This is when I watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

When doubled in size, punch down dough. I patted mine down with my finger tips. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired.

Beginning at the 15-inch side, roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices (12 slices yielded a decent sized bun per person). I'd recommend rolling it into a tighter roll because the dough will stretch.

Coat the bottom of baking pan with leftover butter and cinnamon sugar mixture. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan. I'd recommend spacing them apart and not touching so they have room to expand in the oven. The circular dish seemed to keep a rounder shape of the buns than the square ones which turned into rectangle buns!
Let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. (I put my pans in the refrigerator overnight then allowed them to come to room temperature before baking. I couldn't tell if they rose some overnight or when they sat out.)

Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned. My oven took 25 min and overbrowned the tops :( so keep an eye on it! 

Flip buns over onto a plate so the goodness on the bottom comes out. Drizzle with your favorite glaze or frosting recipe.
Tasty-licious. Try it out for your next family breakfast. They'll love you for it!

8 comments:

lavenderpug said...

oh heavens that looks delicious. i do love cinnamon buns. wow you were on a cooking/baking rampage! go lobster!

Cathleya said...

I've never made cinnamon buns from scratch but I think this is the recipe to get me to do it!!!

BigAppleNosh said...

Yay, they look delish!

e.louise said...

ohmygosh those look so good! I'll have to try this recipe soon. Also, I love the plate you have displaying it :)

Jessica said...

Your down time was well spent, Harry Potter is a good choice. ;)

mintedlife said...

Teehee I love the title. :) And, holy moly those look delicious!!

Try Anything Once Terri said...

Nice job! You give me hope that maybe I can do something baking wise. :)

Annie said...

they were so good!