Monday, December 6, 2010

Truffle Mac & Cheese

I know. We're over Thanksgiving but I haven't recapped the recipes I tried that week. This one is something you make any time of year and it's sure to be a hit! If you love mushrooms and mac & cheese,  this recipe is for you.
Recipe adapted from Orgasmic Mac 'n' Cheese

1 1/2 cups sliced crimini (baby bellas) mushrooms
1 1/2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
2 tbsp oil or bacon fat
1 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 cup whole milk, warmed
4 oz herb chevre, crumbled
4 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz parmigiano reggiano, separated in two 2 oz piles
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (didn't have this so I skipped it)
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp fresh sage, minced (didn't have this one either)
2-3 tbsp white truffle oil, depending on how strong you like it
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup panko
10 oz elbow pasta (I used the whole 16 oz. box. It was less saucy but I didn't mind)
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta according to directions but 2 min less.

Cook Mushrooms
Sautee your mushrooms until caramelized. Deglaze the pan with some vinegar (recipe called for sherry vinegar but I had balsamic). Cook mushrooms until vinegar cooks out. Set aside for mixing into pasta later.

Make the Cheese Sauce
Start with a roux: Melt butter in a sauce pan, add flour and cook out raw flour flavor but do NOT let caramelize. Add herbs and pepper flakes for heat and let cook a few seconds. Whisk in room temperature milk slowly. Bring bechamel to a simmer. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add truffle oil. Take off heat.

Mix It All Together
In a new mixing bowl, stir together pasta, mushrooms, cheese sauce. Pour into a baking dish. If you are not going to bake it right away, set aside covered with aluminum foil.

Add panko/Parm crust to top just before baking. Bake until golden brown in 400F oven.

Next time I'd adjust the cheese mix more to my taste. Less goat more parm or cheddar. You can also adjust the mushroom to your faves. When you're having a hankering for cheesy mac, reach for this grown-up version.

7 comments:

Chelsey @ 4th and Folded said...

OMG this looks amazing. *wipes drool off keyboard*

Jessica said...

Drool.

Love this recipe, I always have trouble with my roux but by the looks of how you do it, I think I don't use enough butter. More butter is better! Mmm!

LatteLove said...

UHMAZING! I can't wait to make this. Seriously. tonight, I think.

Marissa said...

I have NEVER seen such a perfect 'adult' Mac-n-Cheese, mmmmmmm

lavenderpug said...

wow. just wow. i may have to make that this weekend. and bathe in it.

BigAppleNosh said...

Yum! I would totally eat this in secret so I wouldn't have to share. Ha!

Annie said...

more cheese please! did i tell you i went back to Glut and got more truffle mac and cheese? i felt like i had a minor heart attack after every bite, but it was worth it...