Thursday, January 13, 2011

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms

Previously, I posted about Hasselback Potatoes as one of the sides of our last winter break meal. I also made a dish of buttery and lemony mushrooms. These were so easy to make and well worth it. They were meaty little bites with fresh cilantro and lemon. You can vary the indulgence of the dish by adjusting the amount of butter. I tried to not get too crazy (and yet just crazy enough).

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms
adapted from Smitten Kitchen (originally from Gourmet.com)

Ingredients
1 pound mushrooms such as cremini or white, halved if large
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (I added some lemon zest)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used cilantro because I felt rebellious)
Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle (I kept my oven at 400F since I also was baking the potatoes).

Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, oil, pinch of salt and several grinds of pepper in a shallow baking dish. Top with butter chunks. Place dish in oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and golden and sauce bubbles, 15 to 20 minutes. I probably could have roasted them longer and concentrated the mushroom flavor more.

Remove from oven, stir in lemon juice and cilantro. Serve immediately, with crusty bread on the side to sop up extra juices.

Super simple and extra tasty, be sure to try these next time you need a quick or tasty side dish!

5 comments:

mintedlife said...

Mmmm....those sound so delicious and super easy to make!

lavenderpug said...

those sound and look really, really, really good.

San Jose Love said...

ooh this sounds really good. I made a version once that was successful but for some reason, can't recreate the success again. I'll have to try this out.

Jessica said...

Oh mushrooms, you always look so tasty.

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

This looks delicious! You had me at garlic ;-)