Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year To My Belly

My favorite neighborhood restaurant is owned by the newest Iron Chef! Marc Forgione is the chef and genius behind Forgione in TriBeCa, NYC. He opened his restaurant in 2008 just after the hubs and I moved into the neighborhood. It's the perfect blend between foodie heaven (contemporary American cuisine) and a warm neighborhood restaurant, or as the Michelin Guide (yes, I said Michelin) calls it "farmhouse chic."
When I found out Marc Forgione was on The Next Iron Chef, I had mixed emotions. On one hand, it was really cool. On the other hand, I was selfish and feared I wouldn't be able to randomly drop by for a meal anymore (it is slightly harder now to get a reservation). I'm always looking for excuses to go to Forgione, after work drinks, brunch or dinner in the 'hood, etc. I've even spotted Bobby Flay and Michael Keaton there (on separate occasions).

This year they offered a six course meal for New Year's Eve. The dinner was everything you'd expect of an Iron Chef...fresh ingredients, simple, flavorful, and unexpected delightfulness. Let's just jump right into the menu!

Amuse Bouche
Hammock Island Oysters, Pineapple Habanero Gelee & Taylor Bay Scallops, Uni, Tangerine
Super flavorful and fresh! I could have eaten another dozen given the chance. The scallop was really good with the salty uni and the tangerine tartness.

To Start
Bigoli, 24 Hour Duck Leg, Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Brussel Sprouts, Apollonia Cocoa Powder
What the heck is bigoli? Apparently a thick pasta made with duck eggs and it was tasty with the duck ragu sauce. The duck was tender and sweet while the cocoa powder added a nice bite.

To Continue
Maine Dayboat Lobster, Capers, Raisins, Hazelnuts, Cauliflower Emulsion, American Caviar
Admittedly, I'm not a fan of emulsions especially when they hide the yumminess under it. I didn't love the raisins and hazelnuts, but how could I resist lobster and caviar?

To Excite
Hiramasa au Pierre Poivre, Bacon Braised Collard Greens, Tater Tots, Ginger Ketchup, Quail Eggs
Ooh, the tater tots and ginger ketchup were divine! And the collard greens were sooo good (hello, bacon). Hiramasa is a tuna and it was quite tender and flaky.

To Indulge
Filet & Foie Gra Rossini, Creekstone Filet Mignon, Hudson Valley Foie Gras, Sauce Rossini, Black Perigord Truffles
Still more food? I'm surprised at the generous portion of filet here. It had a salty crust topped with a small piece of foie gras and truffles. Very decadent.

To Refresh
Grapefruit Granite
Even the refresher course was good. Truly grapefruit-y without extra sugar.

To Finish!
Hot Chocolate Creamsicle Sundae with Orange Marshmallows, Whipped Cream
The hubs gave me the choice between the two desserts and I smartly chose this one. The orange marshmallows were so fun and the sundae was SO GOOD. It had chocolate cookie crunch on the bottom. On the side is a orange-chocolate chewy cookie and I love orange flavored chocolate. I may try to replicate those.
or
Banana Betty Souffle, Rum Creme Anglaise
The banana souffle was nothing to scoff at but I'm not a huge fan of banana desserts. It was pretty good with a crunchy brulee texture and fresh banana flavor.

After our 6-course meal, they wheeled us over to the bar area where they had a DJ set up and a projection screen showing the ball drop in Times Square. Overall, it was a laidback New Year's Eve spent with good friends and delicious food. 

Not every night is a tasting menu, so I plan on going back soon to share more with you :)

Happy New Year and check out Forgione if you are ever in NYC! 

Marc Forgione
134 Reade Street
New York, NY 10013
(212) 941-9401

8 comments:

Try Anything Once Terri said...

OOOHHHH...jealous! We also had a NYE dinner. I have heard of Forgione and now I will definitely have to check it out. Happy New Year!

mintedlife said...

Wow, that looks delicious! What a fabulous way to ring in the new year!

lavenderpug said...

oh man that looks like quite the NYE gourmet extravaganza! the scallop and uni look amazing. happy new year!

Cathleya said...

Totally gorgeous! Reminds me of restaurants in Berkeley (minus the foam...we don't really do that here!). That creamsicle sunday looks crazy delish!

Restaurant i said...

The desserts look amazing!
I'm way more into modern Asian cuisine, but this appears to span many genres. Definitely worth a try, thanks and Happy New Year!!

BigAppleNosh said...

I love Forgione - have only been there for brunch, but I need to try their dinner!! :)

Jessica said...

YUM times six. Seriously.

Annie said...

Man, that sounds like such a fun New Years! Good food and good times.