Monday, January 10, 2011

Hasselback Potatoes

As our last winter break meal, I steamed some frozen snow crab legs and made a couple of hearty sides - potatoes and mushrooms. They added substance to the meal and the flavors contrasted the sweet sea saltiness of the crab.

Just because I'd feel silly not writing about crab since I already mentioned it:
The crab was simply steamed in a large soup pot with 2" of water and steam rack for 10-15 minutes, just until the crab is warmed through since it is precooked. Try not to let the crab steep in the water otherwise some of the crabby flavor will seep out.

Onto the sides, first the taters:


Hasselback Potatoes 
adapted from Food Network


Ingredients
1 lb red potatoes (about 2-3 hand-sized potatoes. I made 6 for two of us because we love carbs)
3 to 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400F.

Using a wooden spoon as a cradle, place each potato in the spoon and make several slits into the potato top making sure not to slice completely through to the bottom. Place 3 garlic slices between slits at the crown of each potato. The potato prep took some time until I got a hang of cutting only 3/4 through the potato. I also added extra garlic between the slices.
Toss in a medium bowl with melted butter and olive oil (I used a small bowl and did one at a time to ensure even coating). Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake until tops are crispy and potatoes are cooked through. My oven took 40 min but it could take up to an hour. I kept it in extra time to get the edges extra crispy :)
See how I pretty much sliced through that end piece on the lower left? Don't do that.
Somewhat time intensive to prepare, Hasselback potatoes are a nice way to dress up a baked potato in some fancy pants. 

Next time: Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms or "buttery nuggets of goodness"

11 comments:

Chelsey @ 4th and Folded said...

Yum! These look SO good.

Try Anything Once Terri said...

WOW! What an new way to prepare potatoes. I feel like I don't make potatoes enough, but I think this will inspire me to.

BigAppleNosh said...

Oooh so pretty! I admit I got super excited b/c I thought that was butter in between each potato slice. But garlic is good too ;)

lavenderpug said...

these look delicious! i saw these before and wanted to make them, but i don't have the commitment you do for the prep work!

lobster said...

@BigAppleNosh: Ahh, a good next option. buuuhhhterr.

lobster said...

@lavenderpug: commitment / loads of free time, whatevers.

Jennie said...

ooo i love potatoes! these look amazing!

Jessica said...

How have I not heard about Hasselback potatoes before?! This is amazing and I'm doing it the next time I make potatoes...which will probably be today. We like carbs.

mintedlife said...

Those are beautiful and look so delicious!! I've never had them before.

Annie said...

yes i thought it was butter too and i was salivating but garlic works! ;)

Katie said...

Hollllly crap those look ridiculously good!!!