Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Step By Step Ooh, Baby: Ice Cream Sandwiches

I've always been a fan of frozen treats. Exhibit A:
Strawberry Fruit Bar, circa 1983
I must be too hot from the SOCKS with my SANDALS. WTH, Mom and Dad? W. T. H. But that's off topic.

Last night when I saw myself with a large leftover batch of Nestle Tollhouse cookies (Ok, it wasn't that many because I could only make 4 ice cream sammies. The ice cream sammie lightbulb went off only after I scarfed down 3 cookies), I thought, why not marry two of my favorite things:

Cookies? Meet Ice Cream. Ice Cream, meet Cookies.


Step 1: We can have lots of fun
Arrange the cookies in pairs of similar sizes with the flat sides touching. Take out the ice cream. If it's too hard to scoop, let it sit a couple minutes. Or run the ice cream scoop under hot water. I learned that at Carvel when I "worked" there one summer (Exhibit B, I ate free ice cream at Carvel all summer).

Step 2: There's so much we can do
Plop the ice cream (about 2/3 of a full scoop) onto 1 cookie. Use a spoon or butter knife to smooth it out and clean the edges a bit.

Step 3: It's just you and meeee
Top it or leave open faced. Wanna get fancy? Roll the sides in chopped nuts, crushed chocolate cookie crunchies, or sprinkles, a Carvel Flying Saucer fave. OR dip half in tempered chocolate.

Step 4: I can give you more
Wrap each cookie sandwich in parchment paper and freeze for an hour to harden the ice cream.

Step 5: don't you know that the time has arrived!! HUH!!!!!
Eat.
Life After Lobster poll: do you call the ice cream topping "sprinkles" or "jimmies?" 

15 comments:

Chelsey @ 4th and Folded said...

SPRINKLES!

Kelsey@mintedlife said...

Mmm...I love ice cream sandwiches!! And, I call them sprinkles, though when I was in college in Boston, everyone called them jimmies.

arunnerslife said...

UM, YUM!!!!
PS- I died laughing at your "socks with sandals" comment!!!

lavenderpug said...

how adorable are you??? how ADORABLE are you?? those look very yummy. i hope you saved one for me. i say sprinkles.

Jessica said...

We call sprinkles JIMMIES! :D
They look delicious, wish I could have one. Noms.

Nicolette said...

Also ice cream obsessed. First job was at an ice cream store.

Sprinkles. Once I relo-ed to the East Coast, I heard them called jimmies for the first time. Still sounds weird. Some things I'll never understand. (They did succeed in switching me from "pop" to "soda".)

Socks with sandals was one of our Summer Bingo categories. Heehee!

denise said...

Wow, it's only 9:35 in SF time but I already want one! Great...

Cathleya said...

Sprinkles! I never heard the word Jimmies until I started watching the food network in college!

BigAppleNosh said...

Ok, the NKOTB reference is awesome...

Jade said...

1) I call them sprinkles.
2) I now have Step By Step stuck in my head.
3) I once spent a summer with a family friend who owned a Carvel in CT. I made it a mission to try every flavor of ice cream they made!

fromscratchblog said...

This post scratches me where I itch. Not only because of the ice cream chocolate chip cookie sandwiches (which, actually look FANTASTIC) but also because you channeled your inner NKOTB. I swear to you, I had this song in my head last week. (It was slightly disconcerting to have 5 teenage boys yelling "STEP ONE!" in my head.)

fromscratchblog said...

Oh, and for the record...I call them jimmies.

Katie said...

Ohhhh my gosh, I hate you for making these...because I want one!

Jennie said...

Sprinkles! what the heck are jimmies?!!

I do have some leftover cookies.. no icecream, unless i can stick a mochi icecream ball in it. lol.

Alice said...

SPRINKLES!