Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weeknight Dinner: Egg in a Basket, Prosciutto, Tomato Salad

It's a weeknight. Most weeknights, I cook for one since the hubs works late. Ai eeees ung-greeeees. So, I made me a sando with egg and prosciutto (I got mad rhymes). I haven't made egg in a basket since I learned about it in 7th grade Home Economics class.
But it's so easy and cute. Check it:

Egg in Basket with Prosciutto
Ingredients
2 slices of whole wheat bread
Butter for the bread
1 egg
A few slices of prosciutto (or ham)
A round (or square I guess) glass
Take 1 slice of bread and place glass upside down in the middle to create a hole for the egg. Press glass down and twist. I used a wine glass because my regular glasses made too big of a hole. 
In a pan, melt pat of butter on medium low heat. Place holey bread in. Brown slightly, then flip. 
Pour the egg into the hole. I pre-cracked the egg in a little bowl to avoid shells in my sandwich. Not tasty. Cook until egg white is nearly opaque, 5-7 min. The yolk will be cooked and just slllighty still yolky in the middle. Flip and cook egg side down (for a well done egg). 
When the egg is almost cooked, brown the other slice of bread with more buttahhhh. Add prosciutto on second slice of bread just to warm it up slightly
Remove from pan. Serve open faced or not. 

Tomato Salad
Cut cherry tomatoes into halves. Place face down in same pan as sandwich for a couple min on medium low heat. The tomatoes will just start to caramelize. Remove from heat. Serve with a sprinkle of salt, black pepper, and a sprig of cilantro or herbs if on hand. Tomatoes are also good on their own being extra tasty after a little cooking.
Closed face sandwich. 
Good for a light dinner, brunch, or afternoon snack ;) 

7 comments:

notesfromthebench said...

Oh my gosh. That looks so delicious, I think I might have to make it for dinner tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

lavenderpug said...

what a great idea--looks so tasty!

Jessica said...

Eggs in a basket are one of my fave breakfast items!

Mrs. Hot Cocoa said...

You had a home ec course in middle school? How awesome!

BigAppleNosh said...

YUuuuum. We never made this in home ec!

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

I LOVE eggs is a basket (we used to call them one eyed Egyptians when I was little... no idea why). The addition of the prosciutto and tomato salad makes me want to try this tonight! NUMMERS!

Annie said...

i will have to try this!