Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Weeknight Vegetarian

On most weeknights, I end up eating vegetarian, partly by choice and partly because it's easier when cooking for one. There's more flexibility when cooking vegetables and I pretend to be healthy (healthy like a bowl of ice cream following a bowl of veggies). Nothing fancy tonight, just some braised string beans, a portobello mushroom, and cilantro rice.

The cilantro rice was inspired by a Chipotle craving which would have decidedly NOT been healthy at 1,000 calories per "serving." Instead of butter, I cooked the rice in chicken broth. The string beans and mushrooms were quickly cooked in my giant Twin Piggies wok (really, that's the brand) in a bit of oil, salt, and a dash of oyster sauce.

What is your weeknight go to meal? I need ideas.

4 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

Ooh I just got a bunch of cilantro - I'm going to have to try this "cilantro rice"!

Cathleya said...

It's not vegetarian, but the thing we probably eat most on weekdays is salmon in foil with white wine, olive oil, rosemary, lemon and salt and pepper. Wrap in foil, bake at 400 for 25 mins. Serve with side of sauteed garlic spinach (and rice or cous cous if we're being "naughty"). A real 10 minute meal! (UH ok it cooks for 25 mins but oven time doesn't count right? You just sit there and wait!)

Love this meal because lemon (and whatever side, usually spinach) the only really "fresh" thing we have to have on hand and Mark can get it from Trader Joe's on his lunch break. We keep salmon filets on hand from Costco, they come in individually vacuum sealed frozen filets, just pull 2 out in the morning to thaw. And so I don't have to open a whole bottle of white wine (we usually only drink red) I keep those mini bottles of Sutter Home chardonnay on hand in the fridge (we use about 1/2 at a time).

Love your cilantro rice!!! Wahoos fish tacos here on the west coast also has cilantro rice cooked in butter...I know this is really weird but once I found out that it was cooked in butter and REALLY bad for you, suddenly I craved/loved it more??? How sad and gross is that. I'd love to try to make your healthier version at home!

lavenderpug said...

i'm so impressed with your ability to whip up dishes. it's very creative. i'm a slave to recipes that usually take too much effort.

Annie said...

very healthy! like the pics!