Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good Eats NYC: Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote

On a day off from work, the hubs and I took a day trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Having lived in New York for almost 4 years now, I still hadn't been even though the hubs grew up in the neighborhood AND I get free tickets from work (a $20 value).

I had a craving for French things so we spent most of our time ogling the Impressionist galleries. I felt transported back to Paris with this Monet.
Staying on the Parisian theme, we went to Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote which is supposed to be an exact replica of the one in Paris near the Champs-Elysees (I've been. And I can't remember). The waitresses are dressed neatly in all black uniforms, the decor is Venetian murals (just like the original).

The "menu" is steak frites and salad meaning...steak frites and salad. There is no menu (except drinks and dessert) with the steak choices being "Well done, Medium, Rare, and Blue." When the waitress comes to take your order, she is only asking for 2 things - your drink order (if any) and how you want the steak done. Order taken on the table paper: Medium | Rare.
The salad arrives dressed in a mustard shallot vinaigrette with chopped walnuts and a side of french bread. Tasty.

Following is the first half of steak frites, sliced in a rich, herb-ful butter sauce with a generous helping of crispy frites.

When you are about finished with the first serving, they return to serve the second half of your steak, another heaping of frites if you choose (I did not), and more buttery sauciness.
I ordered my steak medium and it came what I'd consider *not* medium. It was almost fully cooked and so my steak felt tougher and less flavorful than hubs' rare order.

I read some reviews and there were some complaints about the portion size. It doesn't seem like a lot but I think we are used to overly large portions from restaurant eating. For lunch, I was pretty full as was the hubs. The service was decent and almost reminiscent of a real Parisian experience (i.e. neutral faces on the wait staff). Was it worth the $24 prix fixe? Not sure. But the experience was good and cheaper than a flight to Paris.

Le Relais de Venise L'EntrecĂ´te
590 Lexington Ave (at 52nd St)
New York, NY 10022
(212) 758-3989

...or if you're in Paris
271 Boulevard Pereire, Porte-Maillot
01 45 74 27 97

4 comments:

Jessica said...

My hubs LOVES steak and french fries are my favorite food, this would be a huge win in our book.

Cathleya said...

Oww my arteries!!! Hurts so good. $24 Pre Fixe sounds like a great price! I'd have to definitely take a nap after a lunch like that though :) Mmm.

lavenderpug said...

ooh steak. yum. that's interesting that they bring it out in two portions.

Annie said...

oh the salad looks good!