Thursday, March 17, 2011

Penne with Sausage and Swiss Chard

Happy St. Patty's day! In St. Patrick's honor, I'm posting a recipe on greens. Also, it's just a coinicidence.

The other night I cooked swiss chard for the first time. I know it's not a big deal. People cook swiss chard all the time. But it's a "super veggie" so it is an excellent source of vitamin C and the antioxidant beta carotene as well as a good source of potassium and magnesium (clearly I copy/pasted that from somewhere). Tastes kinda like a heartier spinach. I used red chard and shallots so that's why the dish looks all pink and stuff.

To offset the "I'm being healthy and now so are you," aspect, I made this with my favorite supermarket brand of sausage - maple flavored Jimmy Dean's. Unnnnngh droooool. The sweet maple aroma fills the air and lingers. For a long time. So keep the windows open ;) or remember to febreeze after.
Ingredients (serves 2)
1/2 lb sausage (cased or plain ground)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1lb swiss chard (usually = 1 bunch)
2-3 garlic cloves or ~1/4 cup yellow onion diced
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 lb penne (? never sure how much pasta to cook so I over compensate)

Cut off stalky stems of swiss chard, wash. Cut down the middle of the stalk to split the leaf in half. Then layer all the leaves on top of each other and cut into 1/2" slices. Set aside.

Since I wanted to use just 1 pot, I cooked the pasta first then made the rest of the dish. Reserve some pasta water (1/2 cup) to help the sausage, chard, and penne come together at the end.

In medium pot, cook sausage with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Use spatula to break meat up into small chunks. When cooked, remove from pot with a slotted spoon into a bowl.
Then add garlic or onion and let soften. Add swiss chard and mix into garlic / onion. Sprinkle with salt to release water from chard. Cover with lid. Allow to cook 3-4 minutes until chard has wilted down.

Add the sausage back to the pot along with enough penne to fill your belly. Add a splash of pasta water and toss together.
Yummy in my tummy.

6 comments:

lavenderpug said...

excellent recipe. love this one-pot wonders with veggies, protein and carbs all in the same dish!

Jessica said...

Hmm, not sure I've ever made swiss chard! I guess we're strictly a kale household. Haha! This sounds so good though. :D

Mrs. Hot Cocoa said...

I don't know if I've ever cooked chard, but I love spinach, so we should definitely try this.

BigAppleNosh said...

You lost me at "Swiss chard," but I quickly returned at "Jimmy Dean"

Jennie said...

I'm being healthy too! ... except this weekend, we decided to make hamburgers, batter them, and deep fry them! lol. *drooooooll* ... at least we ate sweet potato (baked) fries on the side. (that is after we topped our burger with an onion ring lol)

Annie said...

interesting combo...i shall try!