Monday, April 18, 2011

Good Eats Paris: Le Relais du Comptoir

I had no idea this was a destination restaurant when my travel buddy and I stumbled upon this cute, bustling bistro in our first walk about the Odeon area near our hotel. But it all makes sense now. We had to "attendez" (wait) for a table and the food was really good.
source
On the ground floor of the Hotel Relais Saint Germain, Le Comptoir serves French bistro fare run by famed bistro chef Yves Camdeborde (of course I didn't know any of this until after). Apparently it's difficult to get a dinner reservation but after a few minutes wait on a weekday, we were seated for lunch. 

Our first meal in Paris! First challenge was translating the French menu. Second, was choosing from what I could translate :P Straight off the airplane, my travel buddy and I were STARVING so we treated ourselves to a full lunch complete with 2 "plats" (main courses, "entrees" are appetizers) and a dessert.

This one is still a mystery to the both of us but it's a minced pork loaf (possibly breaded pig's parts? I dunno) with some other stuff topped with mini mushrooms dressed in a light vinaigrette and there's some crispy shallots and super buttery potato puree on the side and also served with a dijon mustard.
Salmon and brocoli with more crispy shallots and toasted nuts. Tasty and healthy...though in a lot of rich olive oil.
 And for dessert - 2 espressos (not shown) and a pot de creme au chocolat topped with mini meringues.
We were stuffed. The outdoor seating was full and the people watching was fun. Every ingredient down to the garnish was delicious though pricey (25 euro per plate). Next door is L'Avant Comptoir - a standing room only hors d’oeuvres bar also with sandwiches and crepes which we didn't see until after but boy did I want to partake!

Le Comptoir du Relais
9 Carrefour de l’Odéon, 75006
Tel: 011-33-1-44-27-07-97

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Those mini meringues look delightful! Oh my, I'm salivating.

Nellie said...

aww so jealous you went there! We went to L'Avant Comptoir instead and seriously loved!

lavenderpug said...

i had heard of that place but didn't get to go--from your description, i can tell that i missed out!

Tiffany said...

That looks awesome! Jealous!

BigAppleNosh said...

I love the mysterious hand reaching towards the dessert, ha!

Katie said...

Ohhhh yum - that pot de creme au chocolat looks amazing!!!

Lol about trying to translate the menu. When I was in France a few years ago with my family, they all had to rely on me to translate everything, which was oh so very daunting even after having years of French classes!

Anonymous said...

Fyi, the first dish is pig's feet! (I'm not joking - have been to this restaurant a couple of times and always get it) :)

Annie said...

wow - i feel like i just went to Paris and back reading your blog post. Glad you had a good first meal there!