Monday, May 16, 2011

Basil Pesto Pasta

Got a craving for pesto pasta? I did. It's still not quite basil season yet but this was satisfying enough for spring. Pesto is easy to make and looks so healthy and green....
With the benefit of tasting like cheese :)
Ingredients
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups of packed basil leaves (washed and dry)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup grated parmigiano regiano cheese
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
halved cherry tomatoes (optional, I ended up not adding them)

In a food processor or blender, pulse the pine nuts and garlic together. Add the basil leaves, pulse until it forms a paste. Add olive oil, pulse until combined. Add a few grinds of pepper and 2 pinches of salt, half of cheese. Combine, add more cheese or seasoning to taste. Set aside.
Bring water to boil and cook pasta as directed shaving off 2 minutes off of time. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.

In a large (preferably nonstick) skillet, add pasta with pesto sauce adding some pasta water to loosen the sauce. Toss pasta until coated. If too thin, cook longer, too thick add some more pasta water. Plate and serve warm.
What's your favorite spring pasta recipe?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

*Light bulb* I just got an herb garden packed with basil! Thank you for posting this, I must make pesto asap. :D

BigAppleNosh said...

Yummm, I love pesto pasta!

Mrs. Hot Cocoa said...

I love pesto, but I've never made it myself. Must try!

lavenderpug said...

i could eat this stuff all day. and then not talk to anyone because of the garlic breath.

Tiffany said...

Mmm, I've always wanted to make pesto! I've only had it once, believe it or not!