Thursday, June 30, 2011

An Unrefreshing Disaster - Peppermint Patties

I don't know why I decided to make peppermint patties. Maybe I was longing for something minty. Maybe I just wanted some candy. Maybe someone should have told me I was cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
evil minty patties
Everything seemed so simple - mix confectioners sugar with condensed milk (yum) and peppermint extract.   I used a hand mixer (instead of a stand mixer with paddle attachment) because that's what I had. Is this where things went awry?

My peppermint "dough" was super sticky and had the consistency of a thick batter rather than a crumblier wet dough. Crap. I threw the bowl into the refrigerator and flopped on my couch with a huff. 30 minutes later the dough was still kiiiiinda sticky but with some well floured and light hands, I was able to quickly roll it into balls onto parchment. I should have just given up there.

Then I had to temper the chocolate. and messed that up too. All this time I was worrying about overheating the chocolate but I didn't know about "seizing." Yeah. One drop of moisture and the perfectly melted chocolate "seizes" or gets all dry and lumpy looking. Weird right? But you can fix it by adding MORE moisture. I ended up making chocolate milk sauce.

Then I was thinking screw it, I'm just gonna try putting it all together and guess what. I made a big goopey chocolate mint condensed milk ball mess. What the deuce.

Lesson learned here, kids, just buy the drugstore brand. It's cheaper and there's a reason no one makes homemade candy bars.

What's one of your kitchen disasters?

6 comments:

kelsey said...

But they sound so yummy!!

lavenderpug said...

well, i mentioned the hockey puck blueberry lemon loaves that went straight into the trash the other week. i bet yours was still tasty!

Annie said...

yea I tried to make a lemon pie once after watching it on Everyday Food and they made it look SOO easy. It wasn't.

Jessica said...

Oh no! I'm sorry things went awry for you. :(

Jennie said...

there is not enough space for me to tell you.... pumpkin spice bread. mine came out like a rock. never again!

Mrs. Hot Cocoa said...

Wow, I'm impressed you even tried to make your own peppermint patties.