Monday, August 8, 2011

Spaghetti with Zucchini and Anchovy

What do you get when you have two leftover zucchini in your frige? Zucchini and anchovy pasta! Another one of those nights when I just had no idea what to eat and I really didn't want to order in again (that's the thing about NYC, you can always order food in and it's a bad habit). I really liked this dish - the zucchini was sweet and nicely complimented the salty, strong anchovy flavor. If you don't like anchovy, you could probably add grated parmesan cheese instead as the salty flavor. That would be good too.
Better than the photo I took. From Gourmet.com
 Ingredients (serves 2)
2 medium sized zucchini, sliced into thin sticks
4 pieces anchovy from jar (more or less to your taste)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
red pepper flakes to taste
1 tablespoon butter
Pasta to serve 2 (I used 1/2 a box)

Cook pasta to directions on box shaving off a couple minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. While pasta is cooking, slice up your zucchinis into thin sticks...mine were more like skinny 1/4" stumps. Eh. In a large pan, heat up the olive oil, add garlic and zucchini sticks and cook until tender. Add anchovy fillets and cook into the veggies. They will probably disappear. Add salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.

Heat drained pasta in pan and add pasta water as needed to loosen it up. After a couple minutes, add the butter to coat pasta. Serve!

5 comments:

lavenderpug said...

this sounds really easy and tasty--will have to try, especially since zucchini are all over the place.

BigAppleNosh said...

Yum! I wonder if this would work with summer squash, of which I have a ton!

Cathleya said...

I am a HUGE anchovy fan! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Annie said...

I love simple pasta dishes! Good idea!

Jessica said...

My neighbors have given me SOOOO much zucchini! I'll have to try this. :)