Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yogurt Marinated Chicken and More Brussels Sprouts!

I'm not really good at cooking chicken. I'll often overcook it on purpose to make sure it's done especially white meat and as you know, overcooked white meat chicken is not so tasty. So when I stumbled upon this yogurt-marinade for chicken cutlets that promised me juicy meat, I jumped on it.
Ingredients (serves 2):
4 chicken cutlets
6 oz. (or 1 supermarket cup) of plain yogurt (I used fat free)
Splash of milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/8 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4  teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

Pound out the chicken cutlets to about 1/2" thickness. You can do this at home by folding the chicken in a large piece of plastic wrap with lots of room for the chicken to spread out as you pound it with the bottom of a frying pan.

In a giant freezer bag, I marinated the chicken cutlets in fat free plain yogurt with a blend of seasonings used in my baked fried chicken and a splash of milk to loosen the yogurt a bit. Smoosh it around the bag so it all gets coated. I let it sit in the frige for a couple hours (or an hour if that's what you have). Heat up a grill (I used a George Foreman, fancy) until it's nice and hot. Cook on each side for ? minutes. The first piece was my tester which I cut to see if it was still pink in the middle. I think it ranged around 3 minutes. Sorry for being so imprecise.

After all was done, the chicken was juicy and flavorful for being a healthy eat. You could also make a cucumber yogurt sauce on the side or any other type of sauce on the side for dipping.

For the brussels sprouts, I did my usual simple roasting but added some cipolini onions this time. Cut all veggies into halves or quarters. Toss in olive oil to coat. Add salt and pepper. Spread on foil-lined baking sheet for ~25 minutes or until tender at 400F. Season again after cooking to taste. Also shown are fingerling potatoes prepared in much the same way.

What's your favorite way to prepare chicken cutlets?

3 comments:

BigAppleNosh said...

I want to make this just so I can pound chicken with a frying pan. :)

lavenderpug said...

i hear you on the difficulties of cooking chicken--everyone says it's so easy but i always undershoot it, and then overcompensate by overcooking. i like this method with the yogurt.

Annie said...

Interesting recipe with the yogurt. Will have to try!