Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chocolate Mint Crinkles

I love chocolate cookies! That's just a statement of fact. I especially love fudgey chocolate cookies that are crispy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside like the corner piece of a bath of brownies. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Plus with the cracked top and powdered sugar, these cookies look like they've had a dusting of snow!

Ingredients

1 ¼ cup white sugar
1 stick room temp butter
1 room temp egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp mint extract
2 tablespoons milk (any kind)
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup dutch cocoa powder
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
Powdered or confectioners sugar

Beat 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar and 1 stick butter until fluffy, then beat in 1 egg, 1/2 tsp vanilla and1/2 tsp mint extracts, 2 tablespoons milk. Set aside.

In separate mixing bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder together making sure it's fully combined. 

Combine dry mixture into wet, in 3 batches. Once dough is fully combined, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator. Chill bowl of dough 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Remove dough from frige, use a 1 tablespoon scoop to divide dough and roll into balls. Swirl each ball individually in powdered sugar making sure it's coated completely! If there's not enough sugar, it will just melt and you won't have the white powdery snow look (as you can see from my photos, some of the sugar just melts into the cookie). 

Another option is to roll the dough in granulated sugar for a more crystalized look. 

Place dough balls 2" a part on greased cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350F (13 min seemed to the perfect time for a slightly chewy must mostly crunchy cookie in my oven).

I'm making this recipe for a family gathering so I only baked 4. I immediately ate one almost out of the oven (guilty) and also regretted not making more. I love the texture and the cookie is not too sweet. I'm debating whether to "test" the rest of this batch and make a new batch next weekend for Christmas. HA! 
I gotta go eat another cookie now.

What's your favorite holiday cookie recipe?

1 comment:

lavenderpug said...

those look delicious, a cookie with a crinkle is always a winner to me!